Employment Permit for non-EU Nationals (Work Visa)
In order the third-nationals citizens have an opportunity to be employed in Cyprus, they need to get a temporary residence and an employment permit that is a necessary requirement.
On the 7th day of October 2020, the Council of Ministers adopted a decision regarding the issuance of temporary residence and employment permits to employees of existing and new companies of foreign interests registered in the Republic. According to it, there is the possibility of employing a higher number of third country nationals of particular professions/qualifications, skills, for which there is a significant lack of supply at national level, without a prior labor market test and taking into account the companies’ annual turnover.
The company owners can also submit an application for a work permit and residency through their company. After this application they are eligible to reside and work in Cyprus and the opportunity to bring their current employees with them. Their family members will also be allowed reside in in Cyprus after the submission of the application.
*After 7 years of residency in Cyprus, the individuals will have an opportunity to become Cypriot citizens and use the full set of advantageous of having a Cypriot passport, including the benefits of Cyprus being a member of the European Union. They can also benefit from both the individual tax rate savings and the corporate tax savings available in Cyprus including the non-Domicile status.
- Third country shareholders should own the majority of the company’s shares.
- Where the percentage of foreign participation (Third Country Nationals) in the company’s share capital is equal to or less than 50% of the total share capital, in order for the company to be considered as suitable, the foreign participation should represent an amount equal to or greater than the amount of €200.000.
- The Company should work in independent offices in Cyprus according to the relevant regulations.
- The minimum gross monthly salary for highly skilled employment is set at € 2500, (this covers Directors, Key personnel, Specialists and Support Staff). Below this limit, employment is considered to be at support level and a contract must be dully stamped by the Department of Labor.
- The maximum number of the Third Country Nationals employees is settled at 70% of all employees over a period of 5 years.
- Directors, (This category includes the Directors or Partners registered in the Registrar of Companies and Official Receiver, the General Managers of branches and of mother companies of alien companies, the Departmental Managers and the Project Managers).
- Middle Management Executives and other Key Personnel, (This category includes the upper / middle management personnel and the other administrative, secretarial, or technical staff).
- Specialists, (Companies are entitled to employ third country nationals in professions and / or with skills relevant to the Company’s operating activities).
- Support Staff, (There is no maximum number for the employment of third-country nationals under this category, provided that the necessary approvals from Department of Labor have been obtained).
The permits will be issued within one (1) month and the duration of the residence and employment permit it is up to three (3) years, with a right of renewal.
With the aim of family unification, third country nationals obtaining residence and employment permits are eligible to exercise their right to Family Reunification for their family members (spouse and minor children), under the condition that the relevant requirements of the Aliens and Immigration Law are met. (Family reunification refers to the entrance and residence of the family members of a third-country national living legally in the Republic)
Spouses of employees who achieve a residence and employment permit in Cyprus and who receive a minimum gross monthly salary of €2,500, can have instant and free access to the labor market.
- Enter the Republic in order to work in a company of foreign interests with an entry visa or obtaining an entry permit. *The entry visa can be obtained from the consular authorities of the Republic abroad.
- To submit an application to the Migration Department in order to obtain an entry permit,
- After the arrival - to submit an application for the registration in the Register of Foreigners and to obtain the necessary temporary residence and employment permit in the Republic of Cyprus.
It is important to know that after obtaining the temporary residence and employment permit, the applicant must not be absent from the Republic for a period of more than 3 months since the above-mentioned permits will be canceled.
- Copy of valid passport or other travel document with validity of at least two (2) years from the date of the submission of the application. When submitting the application, the presentation of the original passport is mandatory, for verification.
- Copy of the passport’s or other travel document’s page showing the latest arrival in the Republic and visa (if applicable).
- Brief Curriculum Vitae – CV (including copies of academic qualifications and or relevant professional experience of at least two years).
- Original contract of employment, of at least two years of duration, dully signed and stamped, as well as two (2) copies of the stamped original contact, also dully stamped.
- Employer declaration for covering the return cost of the third country national.
- Original Certificate of Criminal Record from the country of origin (if the applicant resides in a country other than the country of origin, the certificate should be issued from the country of residence).
- Original blood analysis results, performed in Cyprus, showing that the third country national does not bear/suffer from HIV, syphilis, Hepatitis B and C and a chest x-ray for tuberculosis (TB), certified from a Specialised Doctor in Cyprus.
- Title deed or rental agreement of a house/apartment, dully stamped if valued over €5000.
- Certificate of Health Insurance for medical care that covers inpatient and outpatient care and transportation of corpse (Plan A) OR
- Registration Certificate in the General Healthcare System (GHS – GESY) and private health insurance for transportation of corpse.
- Employer´s liability insurance with an automatic renewal.